Re: Any good data modelling tool for Oracle 7.1 ?

From: Jeff B <jeffb_at_sky.net>
Date: 1996/04/02

cfischer_at_nando.net (Chris Fischer) wrote:

>tahmossx_at_itd.ssb.com (Stephen A Tahmosh) wrote:

>>ERWin is great for generating concise, standard documentation
>>(the standard product functionality includes terrirfic reporting capability)
>>Also generates ddl.

>>openshaw_at_airmail.net (Mike Openshaw) wrote:
>>:>Peter Antypas <pantypas_at_hic.net> wrote::
>>:>:
>>:>:>I am engaged in the design of a client server system,
>>:>:>using Oracle 7.1 (Netware) and Delphi as a front end.

>>:>>I am in need of two tools:

>>:>>a) A data modelling tool that allows me to create and DOCUMENT
>>:>>the database model, table relationships, indices, referential
>>:>>integrity and all tha jazz, WITHOUT having to go into SQL*PLUS
>>:>>and spend an entire day (or more) saying 'create table ....' I
>>:>>don't particularly like the Object Manager that comes with
>>:>>Oracle. Access is good at doing this, but it cannot export
>>:>>anything other than table structure alone (no indices, pk, fk
>>:>>..)
>>::>

>The only thing we didn't like about ERWin was that it used a
>non-standard symbology for the er diagrams so anyone who was taught ER
>diagramming in school would have to learn a whole new set of symbols.
>We chose S-Designor from SDP (now part of Powersoft, which is part of
>Sybase). It, too, creates DDL, it will even execute the DDL through
>an ODBC connection if desired.

Make that 2, who use S-Designor.

We are currently using it to get a handle on our large in-house designed databases (700+ tables). It took a little effort on the part of the DBA group to get management to buy into a design-first tool. But, after using it on a couple of external projects and then not having to change (except only very minor things) the data model was shown to a boon to the productivity of the developers. Now we are in the midst of trying to recapture the data model that was etched in someone's head, who is now no longer employed with the company!

We have also used it to take a MS-Access Database, and reverse engineer it into S-Designor and then forward engineer it into Oracle. Works fairly nicely for that...

Jeff B. jeffb_at_sky.net
http://www.sky.net/~jeffb