Re: Any good data modelling tool for Oracle 7.1 ?

From: Chris Fischer <cfischer_at_nando.net>
Date: 1996/04/02

tahmossx_at_itd.ssb.com (Stephen A Tahmosh) wrote:

>ERWin is great for generating concise, standard documentation
>(the standard product functionality includes terrirfic reporting capability)
>Also generates ddl.

>openshaw_at_airmail.net (Mike Openshaw) wrote:
>:>Peter Antypas <pantypas_at_hic.net> wrote::
>:>:
>:>:>I am engaged in the design of a client server system,
>:>:>using Oracle 7.1 (Netware) and Delphi as a front end.

>:>>I am in need of two tools:

>:>>a) A data modelling tool that allows me to create and DOCUMENT
>:>>the database model, table relationships, indices, referential
>:>>integrity and all tha jazz, WITHOUT having to go into SQL*PLUS
>:>>and spend an entire day (or more) saying 'create table ....' I
>:>>don't particularly like the Object Manager that comes with
>:>>Oracle. Access is good at doing this, but it cannot export
>:>>anything other than table structure alone (no indices, pk, fk
>:>>..)
>::>

The only thing we didn't like about ERWin was that it used a non-standard symbology for the er diagrams so anyone who was taught ER diagramming in school would have to learn a whole new set of symbols. We chose S-Designor from SDP (now part of Powersoft, which is part of Sybase). It, too, creates DDL, it will even execute the DDL through an ODBC connection if desired.

| Chris Fischer                           cfischer_at_nando.net |
| Sr. Systems Analyst                    Work: (919)676-0062 |
| Toys "R" Us                                                |