Re: Oracle 7.1 + AS/400

From: Bill Manry - Oracle Corporation <bmanry_at_upsizeme.us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/04/02

Hugo Toledo, Jr. (hugo_at_mcs.net) wrote: [...]
>Oracle's Open Gateway technology provides you with several solutions: you
>can go with a Transparent Gateway for DB2/400. There was a Transparent
>Gateway for SQL/400, but don't know if it is any longer about. (The March
>Production report from Oracle shows a FIX for it.)

Just to clear up any confusion, those are different names for the same product.

> You can also develop
>your own using the Open Gateway Toolkit.

This product is really aimed at data sources for which we are not providing ready-to-use solutions. (See my prior post for info on three gateways we offer for AS/400.)

> Finally, the Transparent
>Gateway for EDA/SQL, if you have a mainframe somewhere in the mix, offers
>the greatest number of supported technologies through IBI's EDA/SQL
>capabilities.

No argument re "greatest number" but this is a very roundabout approach to getting at AS/400 data from an NT box. There may also be some licensing issues since our TG for EDA/SQL is specifically intended for nonrelational  mainframe data sources like IMS and VSAM.

>Of course, if when you say "use Oracle database on NT server and AS/400
>databases simultaneously" you don't necessarily mean a distributed
>database with data on both the NT and the AS/400 transparently operating
>as one, then you can "roll your own" solutions 3GL technology and the
>appropriate APIs (for example, OCI or Pro*Whatever for Oracle).

This might be workable as long as you don't intend to update both data sources in a single transaction. (Neither DB2/400 nor Oracle document an application interface for 2-phase commit.)

/b

--
Bill Manry  -  Mainframe and Integration Technologies  -  Oracle Corporation
These are my opinions, not necessarily Oracle's.