Oracle 7 and UNIX permissions - Help

From: Georgia Gouros. x35581. MAVS Contractor. 1/216 Victoria Parade <ncongxg_at_rid003.ph.unimelb.edu.au>
Date: 1996/04/02

you wrote......

> temporarily added my UNIX login to the group "dba" and changed the
> permissions of the files in the dbs directory to 660, I found that I _was_
> able to access the databases. I'm pretty sure this isn't the way to go,
> since I don't want for everyone to have "dba" access....

You are correct data files in dbs or elsewhere should be "rw" by oracle only.

Oracle processes need to run as id oracle, group dba and you should also set the group id flag on the oracle executable.

ie. -rwsr-sr-x   1 oracle   dba  ...........................

Check users PATH can locate $ORACLE_HOME/bin and set $ORACLE_SID

Bye
Georgia Received on Tue Apr 02 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message