Re: SMP, MPP machines and Oracle

From: Ole Oxvang <unibors_at_inet.uni-c.dk>
Date: 1996/04/02

Steven D. Macaulay (smacaulay_at_continental.com) wrote:

: Ngar Chow wrote:

: >
: > Does anyone knows that what Oracle features will take advanatge of a SMP
: > and MPP machine (I know parallel query will benefit from a SMP machine)?
: > Which platform is better for Oracle DB parallel features - IBM SP2 or HPUX
: > clusters servers? Thanks

Be aware that an MPP is more complicated to administer compared to a clustered SMP machine.

Make the vendor prove that MPP is worth the extra effort. I'm not sure it is. Do your own performance testing.

My general impression is that you can get MPP performance (or maybe even better) with SMP technologies like Oracle VLM. Can't document this though because I haven't seen benchmarks from MPP vendors. However Oracle VLM claims to hold the world TPC benchmark record.

Lars Bruun Hansen

---
Unibank Securities                                       2 Torvegade
Unibank A/S                                              DK-1786 Copenhagen V
                                                         Denmark
Tel. +45 33 33 33 33
Fax  +45 31 57 92 42
E-mail: unibors_at_inet.uni-c.dk