Re: Network Manager 3.0 and SQL*Net 2.1 -- incompatible ??

From: Brian M. Biggs <bbiggs_at_cincom.com>
Date: 1996/04/01

Chris Little wrote:

> Network Manager 3.0 for MS Windows 3.1.1 was distributed on CD with
> SQL*Net 2.2.3. This combination works fine for me. However, for other
> reasons our company must stick with SQL*Net 2.1. So far I haven't been
> able to get Network Manager 3.0 to work with SQL*Net 2.1. I forget the
> exact error. Also, I haven't been able to get files generated with
> Network Manager 3.0 on one PC (TNSNAMES.ORA, etc.) to work on a
> different PC that has SQL*Net 2.1 working on it.
>
> Does anybody have any insight into this issue. The Network Manager guide
> stipulates software and hardware requirements, etc., but doesn't specify
> a required SQL*Net version.

Chris, I have also had some problems with Network Manager 3.0 and my SQL*Net 2.1 servers and clients. Most of the problems I've had, though, are with the following line in SQLNET.ORA:

SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES = (NONE) It seems that SQL*Net 2.1 doesn't support this line, even when set to NONE. If anyone has found a way around this, other than removing the line from the configuration file, let me know.

Another problem I've had with Network Manager 3.0 and previous versions, is that it doesn't let you specify an order for preferred Names Servers. It seems to always put them in alphabetical order, but won't let you specify the order for different client profiles. Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks,
Brian

--
Brian M. Biggs                             mailto:bbiggs_at_cincom.com
Cincom Systems, Inc.                       voice: (513) 677-7661