Re: Help with General Protection Faults under Forms 4.5 / D2000

From: Mike Openshaw <openshaw_at_airmail.net>
Date: 1996/04/01

Dan.Nichols_at_sandiegoca.attgis.com wrote:

>Hi Everyone:

>I'm hoping someone can shed some light on a problem we are having
>with Developer 2000.

>We are developing a large, Forms 4.5 based application.

>Each form has a MDI toolbar (iconic buttons), and some forms have
>iconic buttons on them also.

>Whenever we try to put any type of "bubble hint" for the iconic
>buttons, we gen constant General Protection Faults (Under Windows 3.11 and Win NT).

>We tried SHOWHINT.DLL, with floating bubble help...
>We tried adding a display item on the toolbar to show the hint text...
>We tried displayinh the hint text on the message line...

>In every case, we trigger the hint display via a
>WHEN-MOUSE-ENTER trigger and remove the help via a
>WHEN-MOUSE-LEAVE trigger.

>The WHEN-MOUSE-ENTER trigger does the following...

>1) Identify the item
>2) Get it's Label
>3) Display the label

>Nothing tricky, no timers, etc.

>The result is constant, intermittant GPFs

Had the same problem anytime there is more than one window open with buble help activated. Currently, all Oracle has is a fairly complex workaround; that why there's a lot of examples of implementing help without this DLL. None of them are that satisfactory, however. You have the choice of waiting until Oracle comes out with a real fix (probably Version 1.3) or becoming a real radical like myself and advocate the use of text buttons. Yes, I know; they ain't pretty, but my users rarely misunderstand what they're for. But even in my shop, the Marketing crew thinks sizzle counts more than steak.

>Any Ideas ?

>Thanks

>-Dan

Michael B. Openshaw
Integrated Medical Networks
(Opinions expressed are my own) Received on Mon Apr 01 1996 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message