Re: Oracle 7.2 and resizable datafiles

From: Bill Beaton <willyb_at_cadvision.com>
Date: 1996/03/31

In article <315C7385.73C3_at_ttgroup.fi>,

        Antero Elovaara <antero.elovaara_at_ttgroup.fi> writes:
>Oracle 7.2 supports automatic, dynamic extension
>of database files. Anybody having experience if
>performance hit caused by grown (or extended) datafiles is
>a) minimal
>b) tolerable
>c) dramatic ?
The only performance hits I've noticed are minimal ... in the same magnitude of having an extra ORACLE extent. OTOH, it gives me a solid warning of when I'm about to run out of space ... I mostly have 1 table per tablespace, and allow the NEXT increment for autoextend to be 1 or 2 times the NEXT storage parameter for the table. I run a daily cron job that notifies me of any increased extents, so that I can add another datafile in a more controlled filesystem. The plus side of using autoextend this way is that there are very few reruns caused by 'FAILED TO ALLOCATE EXTENT' anymore. However, I still do have to pay attention to the STORAGE (MAXEXTENTS) parameter.

--
Names:	Bill Beaton			beatonb_at_cadvision.com
					Bill_Beaton_at_calgary.qc-data.com