Roll back segments

From: <jwknop_at_pi.net>
Date: 1996/03/31

I'm just a newbie to ORACLE DBA so please forgive me for asking an dump question:

When creating an application database i want to create several tablespaces. But during insertion of application data in these tablespaces i can not use the non-system roll-back segments unless i use a ALTER ROLLBACK SEGMENT ONLINE command. Or use the ROLL_BACKSEGMENTS line in the init.ora file. but the INIT.ORA file can not contain this line during creation of the database segments as the ORACLE instance won't start. The problem is that neighter situation is satisfying to customers of ours as these pleople just want to use the instance for their application purposes. Is there any way that I can use the same INIT.ORA file during creation of the instance and the creation of the application tables and during operational use without having to edit the INIT.ORA anywhere in between?

Thanks in advance,

Jan Willem Received on Sun Mar 31 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message