Re: MS-Access to Oracle

From: Jim Kennedy <odysscci_at_teleport.com>
Date: 1996/03/31

In article <4jgsnb$jfe_at_wwwserv1.shell.nl> b.lee_at_profs.sciswyt.simis.com (Bernard Lee) writes:
>From: b.lee_at_profs.sciswyt.simis.com (Bernard Lee)
>Newsgroups: comp.databases.ms-access,comp.databases.oracle
>Subject: Re: MS-Access to Oracle
>Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 21:35:18 GMT

>Darrell_Coons_at_.mc.xerox.com (Darrell Coons) wrote:

>>I'm sure this has been answered before, but being new to this game I'll
>>ask it again:

>>How do I convert an MS-Access table to Oracle? Is there a way to export
>>from Access into a format that can be directly imported into Oracle?

>You will need ODBC and SQLNET installed. This needs setting up with a
>connection string to attach you to the Oracle system. From here
>simply export the tables as <SQL Database> - select table and login.

>You may want an Oracle administrator to setup index and primary keys
>on the Oracle table, as well as update triggers to speed the
>processing of adding searches etc.

>hope this helps

>Steve and Bernard
>Manchester, England

Also be careful. I would not export a table from Access to Oracle instead use insert queries. Why? When you export from Access to Oracle Access drops the Oracle table and then creates it and puts the data in. If you have used lower or mixed case in the Access table then you have to refer to the fields in oracle as "theField" instead of theField. Real pain in the neck. Also the data types do not map real well.

The best strategy is to create the tables in Oracle and then update those tables (make sure you have a primary key defined) via an insert statement.

Jim Kennedy Received on Sun Mar 31 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message