Re: Performance problem

From: Randy Dewoolfson <randyd_at_cais3.cais.com>
Date: 1996/03/30

Gerard H. Pille (ghp_at_infosoft.be) wrote:
: In article <4jaroh$jbj_at_gulfa.kuwait.net>, Information Systems Departement
: (mda_at_kuwait.net) says...
: !>
: !>Hello there
: !>
: !>We are one of the largest ORACLE based Company in Kuwait, having around 150
: !>users working under Oracle ver 7.1.4 in SEQUENT SE2000 machine.
: !>
: !>Our system performs unsatisfactorily especially during peak hours. We observed
: !>the trace file signals an error ORA-01575 time out waiting for space
: !>management resource.
: !>
: !>
: !>Any suggestions/ answers is most welcome
: !>
: !>Ashley Monteiro... Database Adminstrator

: Hello Ashley,

: I remembered this from Oracle7 Server Administrator's Guide, allthough I haven't
: experienced it myself. At the end of chapter 22 (Tuning I/O) they talk about
: avoiding dynamic space management.

: Maybe you don't have enough different rollback segments, so that too many
: transactions have to use the same segment.

: Just guessing, Thomas.
: --
: Kind reGards
: \ / |
: X |
: / \ s
: Gerard

THERE IS A BUG in ORACLE 7 prior to 7.2.2 that causes this error. you need to radically increase your SORT_AREA_SIZE init.ora param. The error is happening when your system needs to clean out old SORT_AREA info, and can't (at least not quickly).

7.2.2 seems to have fixed this...
Good Luck :)

--
  .?$" '?i     .                              I  Randy DeWoolfson  I