Re: VMS CPU Bound in performance testing

From: Jeff Johnson <jeffj_at_marvin.com>
Date: 1996/03/29

Jeff Johnson wrote:

> In initial performance testing of a new Order Management System on an DEC Alpha 2100(dual 190 mhz) with OpenVMS version
> 6.1 with 1G of RAM and Oracle 7.1 we ran into the major constraint of CPU utilization going to 200%. This seems strange
> that a database would be CPU constrained not IO bound. Any ideas would be appreciated. Is it SMP memory allocation?
> other??.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> JeffJ_at_marvin.com

Perhaps I should read my messages before I post them. Instead of SMP I meant to say SGA. The system had a shared pool size of 50M. Can too small of SGA cause the CPU to work over hard??

Other things of note are the application was written in Forms 3.0.

Thanks again;

jeffj_at_marvin.com Received on Fri Mar 29 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message