Re: SMP, MPP machines and Oracle

From: Steven D. Macaulay <smacaulay_at_continental.com>
Date: 1996/03/29

Ngar Chow wrote:

> Does anyone knows that what Oracle features will take advanatge of a SMP
> and MPP machine (I know parallel query will benefit from a SMP machine)?
> Which platform is better for Oracle DB parallel features - IBM SP2 or HPUX
> clusters servers? Thanks

SMP and MPP systems can support the Parallel Query option. MPP and clustered systems will be able to take advantage of the Parallel Server option. The IBM SP2 platform is probably more scalable and cost effective for an extremely large site than a clustered HP environment, especially if you purchase the High Speed Switch option, which can allow individual nodes to send data between each other at around 38 - 40 Mb. a second. An SP2 can currently support 512 nodes. I don't know if things have changed, but the last time I heard about this the HP clusters were not ready yet. I believe that in the next 3 - 6 months the SP2 will support SMP nodes (it currently only supports single processor nodes). I could be wrong, but I think this new capability is going to be referred to as the SP3. The bottom line is that your time frame and your application needs should drive your decision. Both HP and IBM put out some good machines. Let the vendors prove to you that there machine is better for your particular needs.

Steve Macaulay

smacaulay_at_continental.com Received on Fri Mar 29 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message