Re: Primary Key of a table

From: <stowe_at_mcs.net>
Date: 1996/03/28

> Niloufar Lamei <lameini_at_arrowsmith.com> writes:
> Dear Oracle experts,
>
> I'd like to know if you would recommend a limit on the number of columns
> that
> you can have in your primary key combination. I was told that a primary
> key
> combination of 5 or 6 columns is inefficient and not elegant. But, my
> concern
> right now is to find out if this is true or if it is just a myth. Would
> you
> know of any Oracle documentation that explains the most efficient way of
> composing your primary key combination?
>
> Thank you for your help,
> Niloufar
> e-mail: niloufar_lamei_at_arrowsmith.com

The most efficient number of columns in your primary key is ONE. According to most modeling methodologies, if you've got more than ONE, you're making a serious mistake.

Usually the problem revolves around using meaningful values as primary keys (or attempting to do so) which is NOT recommended...

Michael Stowe
Constellation Engineering, Inc.
http://www.mcs.com/~stowe Received on Thu Mar 28 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message