Re: PO7 under Windows 3.1 or Windows 95?

From: Hugo Toledo, Jr. <hugo_at_mcs.net>
Date: 1996/03/28

Robert Walters wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to figure out if I should install PO7 on my PC under 3.x
> or install Windows 95 first. It will only be used for my own training,
> not for any development or production uses.
>
> My system has a 486DX2 (66MHz), with 20MB RAM.
>
> I know performance will stink, but I'm not able to shell out $2K for
> another PC yet.
>
> Any help or hints you may provide will be very much appreciated.
>
> Bob Walters bobwal_at_infocom.com

You didn't specify if you are planning on running it on a network. If so, you should install Win95 and then PO7 for Win95. PO7 (non-Win95) is not certified to run under Win95 (and, I believe, does not) and PO7 for Win95 will certainly not run under Win 3.1.

Most importantly, PO7 for Win95, available for trial from Oracle's Web site and on the trial CD from Oracle, comes with the new SQL*Net Easy Configuration utility and the Oracle Navigator. And, finally, PO7 for Win95 is Oracle7 release 7.2, whereas for Win 3.1 the version is release 7.1.

--
Hugo Toledo, Jr.   Author of "Oracle Networking" from Oracle Press
312.951.8012               Oracle WebSystem - Oracle Mobile Agents