Re: How good is Forte?

From: Andrew Zitelli <zitelli_at_tus.ssi1.com>
Date: 1996/03/28

Ralph Lao <lao_at_wise.com> wrote:
>I would like to hear from someone who has developed a
>3-tier server/client application using Forte. How easy
>was it to do a traditional server/client application using
>C++, for example, as opposed to using Forte? What is your
>general impression of Forte and what are the pros and cons
>of Forte?

We have been using Forté for about six months. We are running against Oracle 7.2.3 on an HP 9000/K200, dual processor, HP/UX 10.01. Our clients include Windows 3.1, Macintosh, Sun Solaris & HP/UX workstations. We recently upgraded to Forté version 2. Overall it is a strong product if one needs a 3-tier client/server environment. There is a substantial learning curve so I strongly recommend developers take Forté's training classes. We have recently installed Forté Express but have not yet fully evaluated the product. We have several developers in-house who have substantial experience with Forté. If you have specific questions, send them to me, and I will try to have one of our Forté developers contact you.

  • Andy Zitelli, Silicon Systems, Inc.