Re: Need SQL guru's help: Best query?

From: Chris Fischer <cfischer_at_nando.net>
Date: 1996/03/28

pat palguta <pat.palguta_at_daytonoh.ncr.com> wrote:

>The GROUP BY clause will NOT order your results. It simply
>"groups" like information into a single row summary result.
>Thus the name.

So then, how do you suppose Oracle knows when to stop summarizing for one group and start summarizing for the next group? It has to sort the rows by the GROUP BY columns first.

In addition, Oracle's own training centers teach this fact in the "Tune Oracle7 Applications" course. If you take this course, I recommend Frank Tafuri as an excellent instructor.

| Chris Fischer                           cfischer_at_nando.net |
| Sr. Systems Analyst                    Work: (919)676-0062 |
| Toys "R" Us                                                |