ORA-01555 snapshot too old? / NetWare-Database crashes

From: Friedel Hosenfeld <friedel_at_pz-oekosys.uni-kiel.d400.de>
Date: 1996/03/27

Hi, Kiel, 27-MAR-1996

I am experiencing a strange problem. One of our databases is a Oracle7 (7.0.16.6.0) running on a Novell Netware (3.11) server. We must use that old release because of some compability reasons.

Since some days ago the database export doesn't work, giving instead the message "ORA-01555: snapshot too old (rollback segment too small)".

When I retrieve some tables, I get at some point (some particular users) that message. Some other users are fine.

Very often - when I shut down and restart the database - not only the database but the whole NetWare-Server crashes. Sometimes the database crashes without any user action.

It's a very small database. I enlarged the tablespaces and rollback segments but that didn't change the situation.

In the manual 4 reasons can be found, but only the first two could be responsible in my case: 1. Insufficient Rollback Segments

-> but I increased them

2. Corrupted Rollback Segment

Because of the frequent crashes, I think that might be the reason. How can I check that? Is there somebody with experiences with that error message?

I will probably call the hotline but any hints are welcome.

Thank you,
 friedel

--
    Friedel Hosenfeld         http://www.pz-oekosys.uni-kiel.de/~friedel
Ecosystem Research Centre            friedel_at_pz-oekosys.uni-kiel.d400.de