Re: connect failure

From: William <whuang_at_earthlink.net>
Date: 1996/03/27

Sven,

Check the versions of the products that you have installed on your MS Windows NT server and any MS Windows 95/NT clients. You need to have SQLNet installed on both the server AND client(s).

I don't know what products you have installed or what your network layout is with respect to SQLNet versions, but here are some things to check. . .

Verify that your HOSTS file (on both the server and clients) includes your SERVER's ip address along with a host alias (e.g., 123.456.789.123 myserver). I'm not familiar with using a loopback for the connect string. The HOSTS file should be at \WINNT35\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC. Depending on your SQLNet nodes. . .

. . .if you have a single community with only SQLNet V1 nodes: - Install SQLNet V1 on your server
(e.g., SQLNet TCP/IP Server V1.1.6.9.0). - Install SQLNet V1 on all of your clients (e.g., SQLNet TCP/IP Client V1.1.6.9.0).

. . .if you have a single community with only SQLNet V2 nodes: - Install SQLNet V2 on your server and all of your clients.

. . .if you have a single community with mixed SQLNet V1 and V2: - Install SQLNet V1 and V2 on your server. - Install SQLNet V1 and/or V2 on all of your clients as appropriate.

You can take a look at your SQLNet Administrator's Guide (Version 2) for more information. Depending on what you have installed, the Oracle Network Products Messages Manual may also be helpful.

I hope this helps.

-William / <mailto:whuang_at_earthlink.net>