Re: Informix 7.2 vs. Oracle 7.3 on 64-bit Digital Alpha Ser

From: David Sidwell <DASIDWEL_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: 1996/03/27

Billy,

>> [snip for brevity - (more chest-beating and
>> complete Informix customer list removed)]

>That's _really_ low, even for an Oracle employee.

>Anyway, it's pretty damn odd that Oracle's posts of a similar nature
>are not considered "chest-beating" (by an Oracle employee.)

They're not considered "chest-beating" ????? What makes you so sure ?

Benchmarking is a game of leap-frogging - whoever has the higher numbers *at that time* will engage in a spot of chest-beating. Isn't it rather strange that you do not recognise this trait ?

>Still, it's must be nice for Informix marketing to know that the Oracle
>people who read this group are sufficiently paranoid to make such
>juvenile posts about "chest-beating". It must mean that they're worried
>that it might be true...

Paranoid ? No, I know they're out to get me :)

Worried, with an ever increasing market lead ? I don't think so.

Isn't it *ever* so strange that you failed to comment on the reason for my post in the first place - to set the record straight about relative costs. The post I responded to appeared to have a blatant lie regarding cost of the Oracle system vs. the cost of the informix one. Hence my post.

Still judging by your previous posts, I shouldn't be surprised when you ignore the obvious valid points and only carp on the editing I performed to reduce bandwidth.

>Affectionately yours,

Right back at you.

                                               Regards,

                                                   David Sidwell.