Re: Synthetic Oil

From: Richard Moulding <rmoulding_at_bibbway.bt.co.uk>
Date: 1996/03/27

In article <4j9llg$es0_at_ra.nrl.navy.mil>, roger_at_metcomp.nrl.navy.mil (Roger Lin) wrote:
>Terry Veli (g592291_at_mip.lasc.lockheed.com) wrote:
>: I don't agree that you should change the database oil every
>: 3,000 transactions. I think that's a little extreme. I prefer
>: every 5,000 transactions.
>
>That really depends on whether the transactions are mostly highway or local
>stop-n-go transactions.
>
>: With Oracle 7.3, they advertise you can go 100,000 transactions before
>: you tune your database.

>: Another suggestion you might try, to get better database performance, is to
>: use platinum plugs. They really help startup time and last longer than
>: conventional plugs.
>
>You can also try the splitfire plug. It is supposed to use the resources more
>efficiently than the conventional ones.

Following the useful tips in this newsgroup I poured 8 pints of Castrol Oil into our Sun Sparc Ultra. The effects were, to say the least, unexpected! Not only did the machine explode, it also burned down the computer hall destroying our entire operational computing infrastructure. I am of course not bitter (or employed) but I do think that a little extra consideration could be given before issuing advice on this newsgroup. Perhaps this suggested database tuning approach was only pertinent to certain Unix platforms such as HP and is not suitable when running such obviously hotter O/Ss as Solaris.

'Smokin'

Richard Moulding
BT
rmoulding_at_bibbway.bt.co.uk
My views, not my employers' Received on Wed Mar 27 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message