Re: OPO: 1 global toolbar for all forms, HOW?!?

From: Peter Yamamoto <pjyamamo_at_daisy.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: 1996/03/27

In article <DowDL7.14z_at_watdragon.uwaterloo.ca>, Peter Yamamoto <pjyamamo_at_daisy.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
>>This now has the toolbar on Forms 1-4!
>>Unfortunately, in my real-life app, although I can open all
>>five forms (with more to come) at the same time manually,
>>if I try it from OnLoad, it dies, dies, dies.
>>
>>Sigh, Macs and Mac Apps, never a dull moment,
>
>I found out that this dying is related to my Appletalk setting.
>When I went to try this out on another machine I found out
>my Appletalk setting wasn't right (either because of the 7.5.3
>upgrade or zapping the PRAM), so I had to set it to the correct
>port.
>
>I tried the app out on another machine, and it worked fine.
>Sigh, guess I'll have to work nights to get access to another
>machine I thought...
>
>I went back to my office and decided to keep plodding on only
>to find out that OPO was now not hanging. Hmmm, the only thing
>I had changed was the Appletalk setting...
>
>I turned the Appletalk setting to the printer port (no connection)
>and hang.
>
>I reduced the number of forms opening in the app's onload.
>OPO was fine (eg I could open the other forms [albeit without custom
>menus/toolbars in my current setup]) without problem).
>
>Although I can understand that the system setting (virtual memory
>etc) affect an app's behaviour, I don't understand this one.

It gets worse (or better)...

When I went to test this out on another Machine (7200/90), I changed the Appletalk port to the printer and closed the window, crash... Everytime you opened and closed the AppleTalk CP, even without changing anything crash. A reinstall of the system fixed that.

Meanwhile back on my machine (Centris + PowerPC card) I had decided to see if the TCP/IP option "load when needed" made any difference. So I unchecked it and tried OPO, no difference in behaviour (ok). I put AT to the printer port, and... OK!

"Miraculously" AT/TCP settings now doesn't affect OPO behaviour! Back to work...

Sigh,
Peter

--
Peter Yamamoto                     CS   Phone: +1 519-888-4567 x3299
University of Waterloo             MFCF Phone: +1 519-888-4567 x6488