Re: ORA-01562: ...failed to extend rollback segment.. when update/delete stmt issued...

From: Timo Haatainen <Timo.Haatainen_at_ttgroup.fi>
Date: 1996/03/27

Zareh Dergevorkian wrote:

> When issueing an UPDATE or DELETE SQL statement to an Oracle WGS2000 NT
> server, I get the error message ORA-01562: ...failed to extend rollback
> segment..
>
> I have allocated upto 200MB of rollback against a 250MB user_data name
> space...
>
> the statements that generate the error are obviousely updating/deleting more
> than what can be held in the RB segment... but what I'm wondering is why when
> the RB seg is almost as large as the entire database itself, and the
> statements only affect roughly 50+K recs (out of 1.5M+ recs), do I get an
> error failed to extend rb seg... ??????
>
> please HELP !!!
>
> zdg~~~~~

I'm not sure if this helps you, but check the number of extents in your rollback segments. Usually one allocates several extents (more than 10) to each rollback segment for concurrent writes.
You may also force a large transaction to use a named (and big) rollback segment by issuing a command SET TRANSACTION USE ROLLBACK SEGMENT <name> as the first command in a transaction.

Hope this helps you

Timo Haatainen Received on Wed Mar 27 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message