Re: Windows PC to Oracle w/o SQL*Net?

From: <stowe_at_mcs.net>
Date: 1996/03/26

> B540JC_at_wbv1.sna.ks.boeing.com (John R. Call - Boeing, Wichita) writes:
> We have 4-5,000 PC workstations that use a locally written Windows
> program to logon on to our Central LAN. At peak load, about 100 users
> per minute are logging on. Data about users and their connections are
> kept in a database. The logon program accesses and updates information
> in this database when a user logs on. Currently the database is MS
> Access, but due to repeated problems with database corruption, we want
> to convert the database to Oracle.
>
> Our environment: Workstations are Windows for Workgroups (Win 3.11) now
> and soon will also include Win95 and WinNT workstations. All run TCP/IP
> over ethernet. Servers are either WinNT or HP-UX with ethernet.
> SQL*Net is V2. Oracle is 7.1 or greater.
>
> Our problem: Since the logon program is running on the individual
> workstations, how do we access Oracle without having to buy and install
> SQL*Net on each workstation? The only thought I had was to use some
> kind of program to program communication, where the logon program on the
> workstation would talk to a program (logon server) running on one of our
> SQL*Net enabled servers (see below). Any thoughts? Does anyone know
> how to code the program to program connection? Is there some way to
> access Oracle from the Windows PC WITHOUT having to install SQL*Net on
> each PC?

Are there ways to do it? Yes. Would you want to? No.

Frankly, you'd be hard pressed to emulate a network package like SQL*Net on your own, and the off-the-shelf packages are limp at best.

What, exactly, is your hesitation to putting SQL*Net on each PC?

Michael Stowe
Constellation Engineering, Inc.
http://www.mcs.com/~stowe Received on Tue Mar 26 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message