Re: Q: Pro*C/C++ and objects

From: S. F. Lott <slott_at_delphi.com>
Date: 1996/03/26

Charlie Brown wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> Before I blow a few grand on Pro*C/C++ 2.1 and Oracle 7.x database, I
> was wondering if anybody has had any experience using embedded
> SQL or PL/SQL in C++ programs? I need to have a C++ function do
> database operations with data stored in my defined classes, and
> wondering if the Oracle libraries are object-aware. I would imagine
> that definitely the answer would be yes, but I would like some
> reassurance. An example would be doing a select query with information
> stored in a member of type string. Thanks in advance for any
> information you may have.
> --
> Charlie Brown - Software Designer / Student
> chuck_at_stratus.geog.mankato.msus.edu
> http://www.geog.mankato.msus.edu/~chuck

The Old Embedded SQL standard is completely object -UN aware.
Its almost antagonistic. ODBC (and the new standard) is better, but still very tricky to deal with, there are endless scalar type conversion rules, none of which have anything to do with putting objects in the database or getting them out of the database.

You might want to study O2, http://www.o2tech.com. This is a real OO database with real C++ support and real object awareness. Plus it has a query language based on SQL (OQL.)

--
S. Lott
Consultant, NE Region