Re: DBMS_OUTPUT

From: <jschmidt_at_mailhost.onramp.net>
Date: 1996/03/26

rdbms_output has a number of serious restrictions.

  1. You can't see your output until the procedure completes.
  2. You can only get 1 MB of output.

We have a simple trace package that stuffs a pipe for trace messages, identified by process, and filtered by trace levels.

The package also includes a listener which reads the pipe and insert the data into a trace table.

This allows you to

  1. See things as they happen.
  2. Trace large processes,
  3. Selectively reduce the message reporting level.

Happy to wrap up and make available on the net if we receive sufficient requests.

Jim Schmidt
Trinity Technical Services, Inc.
Grapevine, TX Received on Tue Mar 26 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message