Re: Oracle Posting Values to NewsGroups-$$$$$$$$$$$$$

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_rossinc.com>
Date: 1996/03/25

In article <4j37g3$c5l_at_knot.queensu.ca> oconnorm_at_eleceng.ee.queensu.ca (Mike O'Connor) writes:
>David Webb - System Administrator (dwebb_at_www.resourcecenter.com) wrote:
>: I need to post articles to newsgroups via PL/SQL code.
>
>ummm, define "need." The automated posting of usenet articles is
>generally restricted to FAQs - you would certainly become public
>enemy #1 if you started doing this on a grand scale.

I wouldn't say generally. Just think of the misc.jobs.offerred, etc., newsgroups. They have clearly defined, high traffic parameters that would be amenable to such code.

Of course, if they are writing a product to automate spam, I'd say spam them to smell! Smellfire and spamnation!

>: Is this
>: possible??
>
>Inasmuch as you can write a properly formatted article to a disk file for
>some (say, perl) script to pick up later, sure. A 100% PL/SQL implementation
>would be challenging - and spectacularly redundant!

You really think it would be that challenging? I don't think it would be that bad even in straight SQL*Plus. Depends.

jg

--
Joel Garry               joelga_at_rossinc.com               Compuserve 70661,1534
These are my opinions, not necessarily those of Ross Systems, Inc.   <> <>