Re: Synthetic Oil

From: Joel Garry <joelga_at_rossinc.com>
Date: 1996/03/25

In article <4iudn1$e1t_at_eccdb1.pms.ford.com> Bob Manieri <bmanieri_at_ford.com> writes:
>Pauli Salmu <Pauli.Salmu_at_nbs.fi> wrote:
>>ravinder.singh wrote:
>>> I would like to know if synthetic oil is any good. I heard from lot of my
>>> friends and they all recommend it. Any comment or suggestions are welcomed.
>>Synthetic oil is absolutely no good. Castor oil is the best choice
>>to make output of an Oracle database server faster.
>----
>I STRONGLY disagree! I used to work for Mobil and whenever we used
>5W30 Mobil-1 in our databases at the refinery they ran nicer than
>a '57 Thunderbird with the top down. (Big **** eating grin)
>--
>Just my nickel's worth, inflation you know.
Well, I dunno. When I select max(accelleration) from engine_at_lincoln; I get pretty much the same values now that I'm using the cheap stuff as I did when I was using the synthetic stuff. Defragmenting the oil often is more important than which exact oil is used. The older synthetics actually left the engines too clean by wearing down the bearing surfaces out of tolerance, but I believe Mobil changed the formulation around 1987 in a slipstreamed upgrade. But as in any Oracle installation, adding physical capacity allows better performance.
>Bob
>Bob Manieri email : bmanieri_at_ford.com
>Database Administrator voice : (610) 584-7085
>Ford Electronics, Lansdale, PA pager : (609) 342-0314
>Business is war....information is the high ground. - J.Abrahamson
>..we can deprive the enemy of the high ground. - J. Buford

Joel Garry               joelga_at_rossinc.com               Compuserve 70661,1534
These are my opinions, not necessarily those of Ross Systems, Inc.   <> <>
%DCL-W-SOFTONEDGEDONTPUSH, Software On Edge - Don't Push.            \ V /
panic: ifree: freeing free inodes...                                   O