Re: OPO: 1 global toolbar for all forms, HOW?!?

From: Peter Yamamoto <pjyamamo_at_daisy.uwaterloo.ca>
Date: 1996/03/25

Hi!

> I created a new application. Made four empty forms, then setup
> cmd constants etc to handle opening the four forms.
>
> I then created a toolbar with four buttons each associated with
> opening one of the forms.
>
> If open one window (any one) in the app's OnLoad, then that window
> will get the toolbar, the rest won't.
>
> if I open all four windows in the OnLoad, then the first and third
> windows (once again, it doesn't matter which actual forms you put, only
> the order) get toolbars and the others don't.
>
> This on again, off again behaviour is also similar to the behaviour
> I am experiencing with trying to use one global menubar for all
> forms.
>
> Any explanations? Anybody get SetToolbar/setmenubar to work for all
> forms using the same object?
>
> Any workarounds short of making a menu/toolbar for every form
> (yes, I have already made a subroutine to do this so I know I don't
> have to repeat any code, but I don't want the extra objects if they
> aren't necessary)?

Sounds kind of obvious but...
If you make an empty form, or use a form you don't need these toolbars on then you can do:

Form1.OpenWindow()
Unlucky.OpenWindow()
Form2.OpenWindow()
Unlucky.OpenWindow()
Form3.OpenWindow()
Unlucky.OpenWindow()
Form4.OpenWindow()
Unlucky.OpenWindow()

This now has the toolbar on Forms 1-4!
Unfortunately, in my real-life app, although I can open all five forms (with more to come) at the same time manually, if I try it from OnLoad, it dies, dies, dies.

Sigh, Macs and Mac Apps, never a dull moment, Peter

--
Peter Yamamoto                     CS   Phone: +1 519-888-4567 x3299
University of Waterloo             MFCF Phone: +1 519-888-4567 x6488