Re: Workgroup server vs. Enterprise server

From: Kevin J Barnes <kbarnes_at_airmail.net>
Date: 1996/03/25

Chris Kasten wrote:

> W.van.der.Deijl_at_inter.nl.net (Wilfred van der Deijl) wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I took a look at www.oracle.com but could not find the main
> > differences between the workgroup server and the enterprise server for
> > Windows NT.
> >
> > Could someone please tell me what the main differences are? We are
> > thinking about dumping our Oracle for Novell and replacing it with
> > Oracle for NT. I'm wondering which one to get.
>
> <snip>
>
> I posted this exact same question less than a month ago. I'm currently
> running 7.2.2.4 Enterprise (NT) for production(Parallel, replication, etc).
> We're looking at going to Workgroup Server for test and development because
> it is MUCH cheaper (by a large factor).
>
> I received one response - the core (engine) remains the same...
>
> I guess I assumed that, and I know I won't get replication and
> some of the other options. So just what IS the difference?
> At this point it appears to be solely marketing... (which is a real
> drag for those of us buying Enterprise instead of workgroup server).
>

> > Someone please explain...

We are going through the same situation. Enterprise if priced prohibitly out of the market for us, while WGS is livable (barely).

You lose Parallel, Replication and Distributed updates, ie. update table_at_remote when you go with WGS - everything else is suppose to be the same.

I will let you know if we find out different. We will be testing WGS under Novell and NT.

Kevin Received on Mon Mar 25 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message