Re: Help! getting Pro*C to use SQL*Net v2.x

From: Thomas B. Cox <tcox_at_netcom.com>
Date: 1996/03/24

Figured it out.

The things to remember are that Oracle tools look in three places (on a Unix box) for TNSNAMES.ORA: /etc, /var/opt/oracle, and $ORACLE_HOME/network/admin, and that the db string needs to match exactly the contents of tnsnames.ora.

We put a symbolic link in /etc pointing to the tnsnames.ora file in ?/network/admin, and made sure we were connecting as scott/tiger_at_database.world. Adding the .world at the end was the final piece, once the link was in /etc.

Still not sure why the Pro*C program is ignoring $ORACLE_HOME.

Cheers.

 -Tom

--
Thomas B. Cox   <tcox_at_netcom.com>  TrueNorth Consulting, Inc.

Author of _Oracle Workgroup Server Handbook_, ISBN 0-07-881186-4
          Osborne/McGraw-Hill, 1995, Berkeley, CA.