Re: Need SQL guru's help: Best query?

From: John Strange <jstrange_at_imtn.dsccc.com>
Date: 1996/03/24

column model format a5
SELECT min(kit_number) kit, model_number model FROM moter_table
group by model_number
/

Donna Kray (kray.donna_at_mlink.motors.ge.com) wrote:
:> I have the table

:> MOTOR_TABLE
:> ============================

:> MODEL_NUMBER KIT_NUMBER
:> ------------- ------------
:> A 7
:> B 7
:> C 4
:> D 5
:> E 7
:> F 5
:> G 5
:> H 4

:> MODEL_NUMBER is the primary key for the table. The kits can be used by
:> one or more models.

:> I need a query to return distinct KIT_NUMBER values with one (any one)
:> MODEL_NUMBER. E.g.

:> KIT_NUMBER MODEL_NUMBER
:> ----------- ------------
:> 4 H (could be C as well)
:> 5 D (could be F or G as well)
:> 7 E (could be A or B as well)

:> I don't care which MODEL_NUMBER is returned with the KIT_NUMBER!! Just so
:> *every* KIT_NUMBER has an example MODEL_NUMBER.

:> How do I get this result?

:> TIA,
:> DL Kray
:> kray.donna_at_mlink.motors.ge.com

--
This posting represents the personal opinions of the author. It is not the
official opinion or policy of the author's employer. Warranty expired when you