Re: SQL*Net 2 and Win NT

From: Antony Sampson <sampson_at_dtf.sa.gov.au>
Date: 1996/03/24

caseyr_at_rain.org (crodg) wrote:

>ssquires_at_osprey.csrv.uidaho.edu (Squires Scott) wrote:

>>Just wondering if anyone has been able to use SQL*Net V2 with a PC
>>running Win NT 3.51? SQL*Net V2 is working with our Win 3.1 and 3.11
>>machines. Trying to connect to Oracle 7.1.4 via TCP/IP. The error I get is:
>>ORA-12203 :TNS:Unable to connect to destination. I have a hunch it has
>>something to do with NT's networking features. Any suggestions would be
>>appreciated. Thanks.

>>Scott Squires
>>Univ of Idaho
>>Comp Services
>>Moscow, Idaho
>>ssquires_at_uidaho.edu

>I am having the same sort of problem. I've been humbled.

>There must be some setting, some undocumented feature. What TCP port
>are you using, 1521, 1580, 1525 ... ? I am fairly sure my setup is
>correct. I've checked and double checked each component. I have
>contacted Oracle Customer Support, but have not heard back from them.
>If I find out anything, I'll let you know.

>Any information would be appreciated.

>Casey

Hi guys, it certainly works under this platform, we have it running here.

12203 almost certainly indicates something wrong with the underlying transport - tcp/ip in this case - or something wrong in the tnsnames.ora file.

Any port can be used, I gather as long as they match on client and server and it is not being used for something else. We use 1521.

Host name resolution is another thing that can cause 12203, so make sure you can ping the host by name.

Oracle have articles that offer more detail in this are, when you get through to support you should aske them for them.

Email more detail if you want further help, cheers,

Tony Sampson
DBA/software terrorist, South Australian Government Financing Authority sampson_at_dtf.sa.gov.au
                   The unnatural, that too is natural.
                                  Goethe