Re: 2000 AD - Oracle Date Format

From: Charles Wolfe <cwolfe_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1996/03/23

Erik Lindquist <elindquist_at_logicon.com> wrote:
>Just wondering... Currently the default date format for Oracle is
>DD-MON-YY. What will happen in the year 2000 if I query the database
>like this:
>
>SELECT...
>FROM ...
>WHERE DATE_COLUMN = '22-MAR-96'
>
>Is this date going to evaluate to the year 1996 or 2096?
>
>Anyone know? Thanks.
>
>-Erik. elindquist_at_logicon.com

Erik,

Oracle stores the DATE datatype internally in fixed-length 7 byte fields corresponding to century, year, month, day, hour, minute, second. The 'DD-MON-YY' format is the default input/output format for dates.

If you use the default format for input/output then, 'YY' indicates the year in the 20th century and 22-MAR-96 is March 22, 1996.

Hope this helps.

regards,
Chuck

Chuck Wolfe                         Phone:  (703)325-3718
Senior Consultant                   E-mail: cwolfe_at_ix.netcom.com
TELOS Consulting Services
460 Herndon Parkway
Herndon, VA 22070

Reach out and grep someone...