Re: SQL*Net TCP/IP problem

From: Dave McLaughlin <davemc_at_umich.edu>
Date: 1996/03/22

abhijit.belapurkar_at_citicorp.com (abhijit belapurkar) wrote:

>Hi,
>I am trying to connect to a remote ORACLE7 dataserver on a Unix machine from
>my PC. I have installed FTP PC/TCP 3.0 (for Windows) and SQL*Net TCP/IP V1.1.
>7.8 on my PC. Now, FTP PC/TCP is definitely installed properly because ping &
>FTP to the Unix machine are both going through. But when I use Wintest.exe to
>check the connectivity the error messages I get are - sometimes ORA-06109(me-
>ssage receive failure) and the rest of the times ORA-06110(message send fail-
>ure). I have installed SQL*Net exactly as per the manual. However, the manual
>says that this version of SQL*Net TCP/IP supports FTP PC/TCP 2.1. Is this the
>cause of the problem?
>Any help in this regard will be greatly appreciated.
>TIA.
We are using FTP's PC/TCP 2.1 with SQL*Net TCP/IP V1.1 and having no problems. However, we are using the generic Winsock interface rather than the one specifically for FTP, mostly because it saves memory (since we don't nead to load MFTP before starting Windows).

The SQL*Net TCP/IP transport is selected when you run the Oracle installer. However, you may be able to modify it manually. Here are what I believe to be the relevant lines from Oracle.Ini (usually in your Windows directory):

[Oracle]
TCP_PORT=1525
; TCP_SERVICES_FILE=p:\oracle6\services
TCP_VENDOR=WINSOCK Here are portions of my VSL.Ini file (usually in the same directory):

;
;   VSL default settings
;

[vsl-default]
;   transport=netkey    this is the network key of the default transport
;                       that the VSL will use if the netkey passed to
;                       InitVSL() is NULL
transport=winsock
;    trace=tracelevel
;    VSL tracing bit settings: - default is 1+2
;    1  /* msgs from 3rd party socket lib */
;    2  /* VSL detected errors */
;    4  /* VSL call tracing, implies 1+2+32 */
;    8  /* hex dump of received data */
;    16 /* hex dump of sent data */
;    32 /* msgs from VSL TSR code */
; trace=4
;
;    Transports supported by the VSL.
;    netkey=description where netkey is the network key for the transport and
;                       description is the name or title of the transport.
;

[vsl-transports]
3open="3Com 3+Open TCP"
3open2="3Com 3+Open TCP version 2.0"
bw="Beame & Whiteside TCP/IP"
dlink="D-Link TCP/IP for DOS"
pworks="digital PATHWORKS for DOS (TCP/IP)" novlwp="Novell LAN WorkPlace for DOS"
ftp="FTP PC/TCP"
hparpa="HP ARPA Services for DOS"
locus2="Locus TCP/IP for DOS"
lanman="Microsoft LAN Manager TCP/IP v2.1"
lanman2="Microsoft LAN Manager TCP/IP v2.1a" pcnfs="Sun PC-NFS"
pcnfs2="Sun PC-NFS v3.5"
pcnfs4="Sun PC-NFS v4.0"
netone="Ungermann-Bass Net/One"
wintcp="Wollongong WIN/TCP for DOS"
pathway="Wollongong PathWay Access for DOS"
winsock="Windows Sockets TCP/IP v.1.1"
wsock10="Windows Sockets TCP/IP v.1.0"
;
;    Transport specific information
;

[wsock10-transport]
protocol=rlogin,telnet,rsh,rexec
dllmodule=MSOCKLIB.DLL
netmodule=MWSOCK10.DLL
netinterface=DLL
;private=

[winsock-transport]
protocol=rlogin,telnet,rsh,rexec
dllmodule=MSOCKLIB.DLL
netmodule=MWINSOCK.DLL
netinterface=DLL
;private=

I don't know if this will help you with PC/TCP 3.0, but it might be worth a try. Good luck.

                                Dave

*  Dave McLaughlin, Systems Development Coordinator (Oracle DBA)   *
*  Database Administration and Support / Operations Management     *
*  Information Technology Division / University of Michigan        *
*  E-mail:  davemc_at_umich.edu                                       *
*  Phone:  313/747-3150 (voice)  313/936-7490 (FAX)                *