Moving $ORACLE_HOME

From: <rjenning_at_spacestar.com>
Date: 1996/03/22

I am planning on moving $ORACLE_HOME on one of my UNIX boxes (Sequent SE20, Oracle 7.1.6). The oracle installation will move from one file system to another as part of a restructuring that I am doing. I don't have any data files located beneath this mount point, and I know that I need to change the oratab file, and any scripts, etc that refer to $ORACLE_HOME directly.

I plan on making the move by shutting down all of the instances that refer to this installation of oracle, executing a recursive copy to move the oracle executable files, modifying the oratab file, and bringing the instances up again one at a time.

My question is this: I have been told that I will need to recreate my control files in order for the move to be successful. Is this correct??? If so, I will backup the control files to trace, and use the scripts created to recreate the control files for each database before I bring them all the way up.

Has anybody done this before??? Is modifying the control files necessary???

Please send any responses to rjenning_at_spacestar.com or rjennings_at_andersencorp.com.

Thanks in advance for any help!!! Received on Fri Mar 22 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message