Re: Slow performance on index creation

From: Gerard H. Pille <ghp_at_infosoft.be>
Date: 1996/03/22

In article <4it36t$fu8_at_inet-nntp-gw-1.us.oracle.com>, Thomas J Kyte (tkyte_at_us.oracle.com) says...
!>Increase your logs immediately. You probably have the 2 default 512k log files.
!>The index creation will generate logs and will whip thru them very fast. Look
!>at your $ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/log/alert.ora file. You will probably see lots of
!>'Cannot allocate new log, checkpoint not complete'. These are performance
!>killers. Add lots of log (50 meg would be good during your index creation).
!>You can always add / remove logs after the fact. For the index creations I
!>would recommend a couple of good sized log files. For example, I run with 2 25
!>megs logs myself. The goal is to remove the 'Cannot allocate new log' messages
!>from your system.
!>

Thomas,

Could you provide some explanation about the Oracle message? When do you get it precisely? And what do you think about 0racle7 Server Administrator's Guide saying that the "online redo log files should be 'relatively' small"? (my quotes). Or do you consider 25Mb small?

--
Kind reGards
     \ /   |