Re: Converting Forms 3.0

From: Mike Openshaw <openshaw_at_airmail.net>
Date: 1996/03/21

Monique M Morris <mmorris_at_usc.edu> wrote:

>Kumaran's home page is : http://www.kumaran.com

>I have likewise been trying to find others out there in the world who are working on
>these conversions. The Oracle converter gives you a 4.5 form which is going to need
>some amount of cosmetic cleaning (like window titles, canvas positions, etc.) and much
>additional manipulation if you plan to use the form in a GUI environment (mouse control,
>changing triggers which are no longer guaranteed to be activated - like KEY-NEXT-ITEM).
>Then there are the add-on questions: will you add a toolbar, buttons, other
>GUI widgets? Or is this still to be run on character-based terminals? Or both? What then?

>If others have ideas or would like to create a discussion group, please contact me.

>--
>Monique M Morris
>mmorris_at_usc.edu
>Sr Oracle Applications Developer
>Childrens Hospital Los Angeles

We are currently in the process of converting a major system (800+ tables, 1500+ forms). Some basic recommendationa are this: - carefully layout a plan for standard libraries to consolidate common function.
- use a refernce form to maintain property classes and visual attributes.
- commit the resources necessary to eliminate unneeded code - consider a system redesign at the time of conversion; many of us are stuck with outdated data structures, programming techniques, etc. and the extra effort involved in functional re-design will never be a smaller percentage of the overall project than at the time of a GUI conversion (alas, the last two points are the hardest to arrange.) Michael B. Openshaw
Integrated Medical Networks
(Opinions expressed are my own) Received on Thu Mar 21 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message