Enterprise Database

From: Newton Lau <newtonl_at_hk.super.net>
Date: 1996/03/21

Are there any guys who are experienced in building an Enterprise Database ?

Problem of my company is as follows

In the past few weeks, my project team was working on the feasibility study of building an Enterprise DataBase (EDB). One of our major objectives of EDB is :

  "To set up a DB which covers all the enterprise entities with a    view to eliminating no value-added interfaces, getting consistent    data among application subsystems,.. and also set up a    corporate data administration procedure for the EDB... "

We got that few cases were found in industry like us in building an enterprise DB or more appropriate, as I call it, re-engineering our existing databases which have been built on DB2 in IBM mainframe, Oracle in HP, Sun Sparc, etc.

In fact, we think about how to connect our databases on different platforms more effectively and efficiently. The existing "file extract & load" method is very inefficient. Data inconsistency and problems of integrity are always found.

May you share your experience on any strategic solution to this problem ?

Besides, we have thought about a solution like that :

  1. no change of existing DB and application systems
  2. employ replicate s/w to replicate any update of DB in application system into the Enterprise DB; in that case, online update of EDB is possible
  3. "file extract and load" would be the last resort if NO appropriate replicate s/w for the DB in application system is found; in that case, only batch update is possible
  4. any new application system should be developed on the EDB and use/make reference to the data in EDB rather than from DB in application systems
  5. ultimately, all major systems will work on EDB after re-writing old application systems in phases

We definitely find difficulty in getting appropriate replicate s/w.

Any opinion on that solution ? Any other feasible one you think of ? Any guys on the Net who you think can give help ?

Pls send your reply directly to my email. Thank you very much.

Newton Lau

Email: newtonl_at_hk.super.net Received on Thu Mar 21 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message