Oracle locks

From: Daniela Nocchieri <daniela.nocchieri_at_scn.de>
Date: 1996/03/20

I need some help about Oracle locks:

  • If I have tables connected by foreign key and I insert or delete rows from a child table (C), Oracle locks the entire parent table (B) (share lock). Sometimes Oracle propagates the lock from table to table (A) connected by foreing key (but not always); I can solves the problem making an external index on table C corresponding to the foreign key.
Tab. A     -----> Tab B -----> Tab C  insert or delete |
share lock     share lock      row lock              <-

  • Can anyone explain me this oracle behaviour?
  • Is there any different solution?

Thanks for any help. Received on Wed Mar 20 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message