oracle + aux

From: Christopher Naya <baylormac_at_aol.com>
Date: 1996/03/20

Anybody out there in this migration boat?

I have 2 WS95's running Oracle7 on a/ux. As of November 1996, Oracle discontinues support for the platform. In fact, they stopped shipping the product mid-1995.

I am contemplating aix on Apple's new Netserver 700. A source at Apple tells me Oracle7.2 for RS/6000 runs on it right out of the box, and it smokes a Sparcstation in performance. Oracle migration is free to aix, nt, and a few others!!!

So, some questions:

What other alternatives are you considering in the $20,000 range for hardware/os?

Is NT a better fit with the Mac clients?

As I understand it, Apple has simply added patches to aix to enable Appleshare and the likes, but the guts of aix are still the same code as the RS/6000 boxes get. Is this true? If so, doesn't that mean that IBM could answer aix questions 5 years from now if Apple decides to dump its best server ever?

Anybody checked out the SmartStart package of Oracle7 & Compaq Proliant?

And, a comment/question:

Presently, Oracle has not decided whether or not to release on the Apple Netserver platform. The holdup is Apple. Plainly, Apple has to hand over $300,000 to Oracle in order to get Oracle's blessing on the platform. What's the best e-mail address to use to get heard at Apple, telling them how important it is that they have Oracle on these servers?

Thanks for any/all answers, in advance.... Received on Wed Mar 20 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message