Re: Comparing Java to C++

From: Lance Evans <lance_evans_at_stortek.com>
Date: 1996/03/20

George Chung wrote:

> Any report you write about db connectivity from java should take
> into account Sun's Java Database Connectivity (JDBC) interface
> which is a java applet modeled after ODBC that allows you to
> access backend RDBMS from Java.
>
> --
> George Chung
> Open Horizon, Inc.
> gchung_at_openhorizon.com

You are cordially invited to visit a few URLs:

Of course, see Sun's http://www.javasoft.com URL.

WebLogic Technologies has implemented a 3-tier approach which consists of our database of choice, a server-side Java interface, and client-side Java applet support making it possible to link Java applets programmatically directly to the database. Now shipping betas. http://weblogic.com/dbkonat3.html

Powersoft is in Beta with a product called Optima ++ which is a RAD C++ development environment. Powersoft is scrambling to add Java development support and claims to have a shippable product in May. http://www.powersoft.com/corporate/pr/optima.html

Gupta Corporation is releasing a new generation of their full-blown GUI-builder application that is backward compatible with existing applications and has Java support built in. It is called Centura, and will ship the Java version by YE '96.
http://www.gupta.com/centweb/ct_rel2.htm http://www.gupta.com/centweb/wp_ov/wp_ov.htm

Both Powersoft and Gupta are talking big about 3-tiered applications. Received on Wed Mar 20 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message