Re: Memory Required for Alpha Server & Oracle database

From: <tschul19_at_sgi.net>
Date: 1996/03/20

Wong Yeow Kiat wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I hope somebody out there can help, thanks in advance.
>
> I am in the process of getting a Alpha Server 2000 4/233 with 128Mb memory. This
> server will be running only Oracle RDBS, most probably version 7.2. My question
> here is how much memory required for Digital Unix OS (v 3.2 or 3.3) to run and how
> much left over for Oracle RDBS to run in optimal performance (only maximum 5 users
> will be running simultaneously). Is 128Mb memory sufficient???
>
> regards,
> Yeow Kiat (S'pore Petroleum Co Ltd)

We are running 2 Alpha boxes a 4000/620 and a 2100 with 128mb cards. Of couse performance will always depend on factors such as database attribute settings ie. tablespaces, rollback segments,sga sizing but I think you'll find 128 plenty to work with. You performance bottleneck won't be memory make sure you have a sufficient number of disk spindles that's the real key to optimizing performance good disk load balancing. Good Luck the alpha boxes are great. Received on Wed Mar 20 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message