Re: Delphi vs Oracle 2000 vs VB 4.0 ???

From: Lawrence V. Rohrer <lrohrer_at_lsquared.com>
Date: 1996/03/19

Jason Pociask wrote:

> OK, here's a question: Assume out site is licensed to run SQL*NET 2.0
> on any PC we have. We need to write a few quicky applications that
> will query data out of Oracle Financials and display it under Windows.
> We don't want to write the app in Forms 4.5, we want to use either
> Visual basic 4.0 or Delphi 1.0 (the cheap version, not the more
> expensive Client/Server version).
>
> Is it possible to access SQLNET directly from VB4 or Delphi v1,
> or do we have to use ODBC only? In that case, what ODBC should
> we be using? I have the Professional, _not_ enterprise version
> of VB4. Does that make a differnce.
>
> Is there any hope?
>
> -jp email cc appreciated...

Why not devlop the applications in Oracle webserver. This would require all of your machines to be able to run a web browser. In some RARE cases even character based Lynx browsers will work. You then do not have to worry about installing client software or installing client updates on any of your clients. (I am assumin someone else <<even the users>> can install browser software).

Your application developement is then concentrated on creating PL*SQL code and PL*SQL based html code. I personally find this *ver* appealing.

BTW With the main business logic written in PL*SQL you can concentrate on modularizing even objectizeing the PL*SQL code.

Take Care.

--
Lawrence V. Rohrer
1500 Adams #105