Re: SHUTDOWN: waiting for logins to complete

From: <vermaat_at_gemini.tfdl.agro.nl>
Date: 1996/03/19

In article <314de28d.3629444_at_nntp.peg.apc.org>, gordonh_at_acslink.net.au (Gordon E. Hooker) writes:
>Mike Most <yoram_z_at_mail.netvision.net.il> wrote:
>

>>Oracle 7.1.4 and 7.2.3 / HP-UX 9 and also AIX
>>
>>Every once in awhile, via 'su - oracle' cron,
>>the attempted 'Shutting down instance (normal)'
>>hangs indefinitely with the message:
>>
>> SHUTDOWN: waiting for logins to complete.
>>
>>Even after killing off all user processes (via unix),
>>the background processes still hang in the air.
>
>I don't it is a good idea to kill the user processes via unix...
>
>Why don't you kill the user sessions via SQL*DBA?
>

>>At this point, of course, the only alternative is
>>to shutdown abort.
>
>What about shutdown immediate?
>

>>We could circumvent this problem, but is this a known
>>Oracle "feature"?

The problem with the shutdown of ORACLE at our sites were the SQL*Net-user, who are not recognised as users, so a SHUTDOWN ABORT was necessary. Is works quite well though.

| Peter J.R. Vermaat | Dutch Department of Agriculture | Wageningen |

| p.j.r.vermaat_at_tfdl.agro.nl | http://gemini.tfdl.agro.nl:1024/~vermaat/ |
|                           Flagellant in Dreamland                            |