ODBC/MS-ACCESS interference with instance

From: Bill Beaton <beatonb_at_cadvision.com>
Date: 1996/03/18

I have got an irate user on my systems, and want to see if this guy has any reason to expect me to satisfy his requests ...

He is using what appear to be a couple of pieces of crud (ODBC/ACCESS) to develop an application against one of my UNIX server boxes. I created all tables and views per his specification (obviously converting his float, integer and long specifications to the appropriate NUMBER specs). I also created primary key constraints as per his specs.

Now, he is trying to test, and his data-entry application won't work, because it apparently wants indexes. I am not prepared to create any indices for a number of reasons ...

  1. The tables are so small, that indices won't be used for any query or update that I've modelled.
  2. I don't want to waste the disk space ... temporarily, it is my most expensive (rare) resource. I actually have most of his tables memory-resident (cached), because they're so tiny (from 100 to 20,000 rows).
  3. Are his tools really so buggy that they must have indices created, even tho ORACLE will not use them.

Does anyone know of ways to force ACCESS w/ODBC to update without the overhead waste of indices? If not, then I'm going to have to tell him to buy a 1/2 Gig drive, which will appear only in his cost centre, and not in the general site's costs.

Thx for any help,
Bill

--
Names:	Bill Beaton			beatonb_at_cadvision.com
					Bill_Beaton_at_calgary.qc-data.com