Re: Are cold backups necessary?

From: Chuck Isaacson <ccisaac_at_mtu.edu>
Date: 1996/03/18

This is off the point, but what were the circumstances that had a shutdown abort corrupt the database? I have never experienced this. In fact, I typically shutdown abort and then immediately bring Oracle back up and then shutdown normally without a problem.

William Hutchison (whutch_at_ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: I do hot backups of an Oracle 7.1.x database at least once per day,
: all tablespaces (one at a time) and control files. It runs in
: archivelog mode all the time.
:
: The hot backups (to a separate disk partition) get copied to tape(s),
: along with the archive log files.
:
: I have a cold backup from when the database was initially loaded with
: data and I know enough to backup the control file if ever I add another
: data file.
:
: I have tested restoring the database from the hot backup only and it
: worked flawlessly. I even had an opportunity to try this when the
: database was corrupted by (someone else's software) doing a
: 'shutdown abort' (notice that I am not identifying my place of
: employment!).
:
: My question is: are there any scenario's where I will only be able to
: restore from a cold backup? (Let's assume that the tape copies of the
: hot backup files are readable).
:
: I can do cold backups once a week if there is a real technical reason,
: but it would be better to keep the system up 168 hours a week.
:
: Thanks,
:
: Bill Hutchison