Re: Oracle on NT...Why Not?

From: Saeed Talebbeik <saeedt_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 1996/03/16

The question is whether NT is there or not. The answer is it depends. If the customer wants high availability, scalibility, and wants to support a large number of users , larger databases and data warehousing in the future then the best choice for a "database server is UNIX". I know of a large project that got into trouble because NT was proposed as a solution. Both the Hardware and OS are not there to support the requirements that I mentioned above. The customer can definitely use NT as a viable solution to run the GUI and if they use application partitioning to run the application servers.

NT does not scale beyond 4 processors at the present time. Although Microsoft is working on it. Also NT does not have clustering capability to support high availability at the present time. Again Microsoft is working on this too. NT is a very attractive price/performance solution for workgroup applications. There are people who are deploying what your customer is asking you to do with NT. However you need a safe solution that works NOW and in the future. UNIX and NT on TCP/IP integrate very well and as I mentioned before a combination of a large robust UNIX database server along with NT to run GUI and Application servers is the best solution.

                                                Regards,
                                               <<<Saeed>>>
                                              March 15, 1996

>Thomas Remisoski (midnite_at_sojourn1.sojourn.com) wrote:
>: Hi,

>: My company has proposed an NT/Oracle solution to a client. We are
 meeting
>: some resistance from the IS staff. Typical comments are "It's just
 not
>: there yet" or "NT is not stable enough to maintain 24x7 uptime".
 They
>: are evaluating Unix instead. This is no problem for us but we're
>: wondering whether we should recommend NT/Oracle solutions in the
 future.

>: What do you think? Is NT "there" yet? Does anyone have great
success or Received on Sat Mar 16 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message