Re: Oracle on NT...Why Not?

From: your usual clueless newbie <octagon_at_hargray.com>
Date: 1996/03/14

In article <1996Mar12.221357.19779_at_rossinc.com>, joelga_at_rossinc.com says...

>I felt bad for those in the second group who had to walk into Oracle user
>group meetings and say "I use <some Oracle product> on <some cutting edge
>technology like the Mac> and was wondering if anyone has gotten <some
>Oracle product> to work," to be met by uncomfortable laughter and
>words of gentle pity.

Well, I'm one of those people, and judging from the flood of e-mail helping me out (not), looks like I'll have to bleed alone here.

I'd really kill to run a unix server here, actually got my mousing-around boss to scrape together enough parts for a linux box, etc... but in my local area (and organization), you can't *give* unix away.

At the same time, our poor old vms machine is laden with heavy support charges, stiff upgrade prices, and a dbms app, and to ask management to possibly consider oracle for vms or getting and keeping unix skills around would understandably receive a hearty laugh. NT *is* all the rage.

Course, I quit looking for computational elegance a few years back.

>I'm plenty flexible, but I think people are too quick to throw out the
>working technology before it's end. I lamented it in RSTS, I'll lament
>it with unix.

Feel lucky you got to put in some time on it, I know I enjoy my vms ;-)

--
Flames welcome, the best will be html-ized and displayed as trophies