Which Ad Hoc Report tool to use?

From: Resumes <resumes_at_dyncorp-bksd.com>
Date: 1996/03/13

Hi everyone!

We would like to use an ad hoc report tool for a Database. The tool must:

  1. allow for editing of the (tool) code by a simple text editor like TED;
  2. handle queries against many tables, not just one or two;
  3. be able to do easy matrix reporting;
  4. be able to read a variety of file formats (flat, Oracle, XBase etc.);
  5. be able to produce a variety of file formats (flat, Oracle, Lotus/Excel, XBase, word processing etc.)

Currently we are considering Oracle Power Objects, Focus for Windows, IQ Software, and Microsoft Access. We have found MS-Access to be capable but are concerned about speed.

Has anyone done something similar with the above tools? Can you recommend one of the above or some other tool that can do the above tasks?

I'd love to hear your opinions. My email is sanjay_at_dyncorp-bksd.com.

Your help is appreciated very much.

Thanks in advance,
Sanjay Received on Wed Mar 13 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message